Thursday, June 27, 2013

Comrades

Yesterday, I attended my second FORCE face to face meeting. Several of the same women were there but it was a larger group and there were even a few women my age. It was pretty much the same format in a different location except for the camera crew who were filming part of the meeting and also interviewing some of the attendees.

I have learned a lot online and especially from several private Facebook groups designed as discussion and support forums for BRCA +, preventive surgeries, Previvors and the like. But meeting other women face to face who have dealt with this or are facing a similar path is somehow very comforting.

One of the women I met is near my age and has had the breast reconstruction surgery that I'm seriously considering (DIEP FLAP). She and I were among a few who arrived a few minutes early and were chatting prior to the meeting. She talked very positively about her experience and then asked me if  wanted to see them (the girls/her foobs). Another younger women and I followed her to a private corner of the library and she showed us. She even encouraged us to touch them. 

As strange as this encounter was it has made me much less afraid. I'm so grateful to her. 

These meetings are powerful. Such strong young women. I'm touched by their stories. Some have survived cancer, many have already completed both surgeries, nearly all have lost one or more loved one to cancer. The atmosphere of acceptance and understanding is palatable.

The next local FORCE meeting is July 15th. I plan to attend. I'm so glad I didn't let my first experience push me away. 

Just for fun here is a list of the Facebook groups I mentioned. They aren't quite the same as face to face but very helpful and supportive. I've learned a lot and would recommend them:

BRCA Sisterhood
BRCA1 or BRCA 2 Ovarian & Breast Cancer Gene
Beyond the Pink Moon
BRCA Sisterhood Of Hope
DIEP FLAP Support Group
- Previvors
Prophylactic Mastectomy

All of these groups are closed so you have to ask permission to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment