Thursday, August 8, 2013

Count Down to Surgery NUMBER ONE

That's right I've decided to have TWO surgeries.  If you are paying attention that means I've decided to go ahead with the dreaded mastectomy. I said it. It's out there. *pregnant pause* But that will be surgery NUMBER TWO so stay tuned for the gory details of that adventure.

Right now I'm focused on NUMBER 1 which is a salpingo-oophorectomy (in English that is removal of one ovary and fallopian tube) scheduled for August 16th. I had a emergency partial hysterectomy in 1979 when I was 21 years old and my son was only 4 months old. At that time, I had acute peritonitis so they took everything except my cervix and my one lonely ovary and fallopian tube which has served me well the past 34+ years.

She is getting tired anyway (my ovary) and has been sputtering and causing me to growl, sweat and loose sleep. So this is payback! No, actually I'm not looking forward to increased symptoms of the dreaded menopause but that's the price for reduced ovarian and breast cancer risk we mutants get to pay. The doctors say after NUMBER 2 they will consider low dose hormone therapy if I still want it. So I've said "Where do I sign up for that?" and I'm pushing forward.

I met breast surgeon Dr. Tammy De La Malena on August 1st. In spite of myself, I really liked her. She is probably the most personable surgeon I've ever met.  Spent a lot of time with me. Answered all my questions and showed genuine understanding and compassion. She ordered a breast MRI and is referring me to a plastic surgeon.

So those are the baby steps toward NUMBER 2. I had the MRI on Monday (August 5). Which was appropriate because August 5th is the 4th anniversary of the day breast cancer took my Mom away from us. I don't have the appointment with the plastic surgeon yet but I will have it on the calendar soon.

A week from tomorrow I lose my poor, weak, scrawny, lonely, little, shriveled-up, ovary. I'm afraid I will miss her but I have to say "Thanks for all the hormones over the years and I don't know what I would have done without you".

2 comments:

  1. Well done you, I had my two ovaries and fallopian tubes removed two years ago on the 11th August, then had my mastectomy the following May, with immediate reconstruction by expander implants. My final reconstruction took place in January of this year, followed by the nipples and tattooing last month. Now all done and dusted. All has gone well, never regretted my decision. In fact when I told my genetic oncologist I was having the mastectomy he immediately said I could go on to HRT (yippee), no more night sweats, sleepless nights, day sweats. Great!!!!!! Good luck and thanks for the brilliant blog and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. It's good to hear that you have no regrets. I look forward to getting my "happy pills" (HRT)back.

    ReplyDelete