Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Let's Git-R-Done

All good news at my post-op appointment. The pathology report showed no cancer. Five points for me none for my inner hypochondriac. Dr. Winter said, the adhesions that had imbedded my ovary into my bowel were removed along with the small bit of the bowel that was attached to the ovary. He also said he could see why I had a bowel obstruction because the mass of adhesions could easily cause the bowel to twist itself into a knot. More good news! No ovary and as a bonus fewer adhesions and maybe even a reduced chance of bowel obstruction.

When I walked out of the doctor's office toward my car I heaved a huge sigh of relief. I hadn't even realized I was so stressed over the pathology results but knowing the outcome has given me an increased sense of wellbeing. I feel more positive and lighter somehow. This unexpected wave of relief gives me added confidence that taking the next steps toward a Prophylactic bilateral mastectomy (PBM) and DIEP reconstruction are the right thing for me to do.

I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon, Dr. Sheldon Cober on September 19th. Now I'm stressing that I won't be a candidate for DIEP reconstruction or I won't like Dr. Cober. On the DIEP FLAP Support Group on Facebook I asked if there were any others living in Oregon who would recommend their surgeon and someone mentioned Dr Cober and then said how much she loved him.  So I'm hoping I will feel the same way.

It feels good to have one surgery behind me. It's only been 12 days and I'm feeling almost normal already. In April I wouldn't have guessed that I'd be eager to move ahead with NUMBER 2 this quickly. I figured I'd take my time and maybe work toward a PBM in a couple of years. For some reason I now feel like I want to get it behind me. If my insurance approves it and I can get away from work for 6 weeks I think I'll do it sooner rather than later and just Git-R-Done

No comments:

Post a Comment