Monday, June 10, 2013

Video game medicine?

You know you are getting old when the doctors start to look like somebody your kids would hang out with and they say "Well, at your age" as if that was the explanation for everything wrong with you. I had my first pelvic ultra sound recently. It wasn't so bad really and the "good news," they say is that they were able to locate my one and only lonesome little ovary. This is a "good thing" they say, "because now we can take it out robotically". 

At my doctor's appointment next week we make plans for my next steps on this BRCA journey. Removing my one remaining ovary and fallopian tube is my preferred step one.  I've pretty much decided that I like Dr. Winter and I've been told he is very skilled at robotic surgery. Which freaks me out a bit but at the same time intrigues me.        

Robotic surgery is cutting edge, they say. I can still hear my most snarky Mom voice telling my son's that they would "never get a job playing video games". Guess I wrong about that wasn't I? More than one doctor has now looked me in the eye and said without a hint of sarcasm that oophorectomies can be done with robotic surgery.  Who knew?  

No comments:

Post a Comment