Saturday, November 9, 2013

How crazy is that?

There I am humming my "kick some cancer-risk-ass" theme song all confident and prepared to get this surgery from my future to my past. Just strolling down the BRAC brick road. When a silly Victoria Secret commercial reduces me to tears.

It's ridiculous. Laughable really. Even when I was "young and beautiful" I wasn't the Victoria Secret model type. As a girl, I was more of a white bread version of America Ferrera in  Real Women Have Curves. But for some reason the sight of those models in a random TV commercial hit me in the gut. Caught me off guard. It brought out a fear I had been pushing back and holding down. A fear I didn't even know I have.

It's so silly. I know I'm much more than a pair of breasts. BUT the world I live in objectifies breasts and as much as I try to tell myself I'm above all that. That perfect image of what I "should" look like is still lurking in my subconscious somewhere. How crazy is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment