Saturday, May 10, 2014

Nipples?

After my surgery, our first out of town road trip was a visit to see my step-daughters and their families. During the visit a group of women met me in a bedroom so they could see my new boobs which can best be described as "frankenboobs". Our five year old granddaughter, Addy, decided she wanted to see too.

After checking with her Mom to make sure this was okay I flashed my frankenboobs. She was the first to speak and said, "GeeMa, where are your nipples?" I told her the doctors were going to make me some new ones. With that she was out the door and back to playing.

As I gave Addy a goodbye hug that day she whispered in my ear, "GeeMa, I don't like your new boobs with no nipples." That's our Addy. She says exactly what she thinks.

Twice now she has run up to me in a group of people and asked, "GeeMa, do you have your new nipples yet?"

It's a good thing I'm not very shy. She makes me smile every time. I like to tell this story just because it's so cute and so Addy.

Also, the truth is it feeds my determination to see this thing through. When I started this process I didn't even think about the nipples phase of the process. My focus was on the preventive mastectomy, the DIEP flap reconstruction and stopping that BRCA2 mutation. I told myself that at my age the nipples phase wasn't important. Who would see them anyway besides me and my husband.

With the "big surgery" behind me I'm thinking it would be nice to have nipples. Nipples will be the prize at the end of this whole process. The proof that I'm back to normal. Even if only my husband and Addy ever see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment